Monday, February 27, 2017

7 months...Born in Russia, Mexico, and the Cursed USA 2/27/17

I finished 7 months of my mission this week, (these are some of the places that people have said that I am from in the title of the email haha.) They just give me crap. There are lots of people who understand that most of the people from the United States aren’t racist but there are quite a few who think if you are white you hate Mexicans. It is so crazy how fast the time is passing. I cannot believe it. First I want to say how great it has been here so far, and how much I have learned about myself and the church. I know it is all true. 

This week has been great. We helped a family start to get baptized. We baptized the kids and the rest of the family is the next week! They are so awesome. We helped them this week build a new part of their house. In the baptism picture they aren’t smiling, but they are happy I promise. 

We were super close to the border this week. We took some pictures with a border sign and the Rio Grande. The river is between Mexico and Texas.

Also we had a special meeting this week en Thursday with all of the mission. President Russell M Neilson spoke. He couldn’t come in person like planned because of the inseguridad (insecurity)  but there was a transmission. I learned so much. He taught us about how we come from the children of Abraham and that it is our responsabilidad (responsibility) to bring people to the fold of God. If we keep this commandment we have, we will be blessed in every single way of our life. We learned that when we study the scriptures it ¨sharpens¨ our spiritual axes and we can progress faster in this life. I love the church so much and love the people here in Mexico.
There is a tradition to burn a tie when you finish 6 months haha. I forgot to send a picture of me burning a tie. I bought it for like 50 cents. So there’s that too.

Sorry this email is all over the place. The picture with all the kids on the stairs is a family that are being taught by a missionary in my district. We went on intercambios (exchanges) and they wanted to take a picture. They are so awesome. One of the little girls you can’t really see, but she is so smart and seriously so kind.
I am so glad to be here helping these amazing families. I miss you guys a lot, but just 17 more months haha. I hope you guys have a great week!

Love, Elder Hawley











No comments:

Post a Comment